West Cumbria Mining is looking to establish the first UK metallurgical coal mine for 25+ years. With £14m investment, the team needed to spend this wisely and utilised Morton Waters to support the in house Communications Manager.
An Independent Assessor judged…
“The company has undertaken unusually strong stakeholder engagement , particularly at the local level, and we received consistently positive feedback from stakeholders”
The initial phase of communications has been around garnering and galvanising stakeholder backing to support a planning application. The company has a great, and honest, commitment to open communications and this has driven very positive feelings towards what could have been a more negatively received project.
We provided strategic advice during the planning stages on how to deliver the communications objectives through public events, media relations, social media, branded collateral and the website. We have created a general public facing website which addresses any concerns, and a corporate site which is used for investment and financing opportunities.
We advise on crisis prevention and response, as well as undertaking media relations to proactively spread the message in the local area. We work closely with the designer to ensure the brand identity is protected.
A 3 year ongoing relationship that has resulted in:
- a strategically led communications plan
- creation of a clear Statement of Community Involvement
- a highly visible, educational website receiving 54,000 page views a year
- active and growing social media channels
- protected brand identity
- metrics gathering to support the planning application
- support for a much-needed employment opportunity, measured at 98% positive from local stakeholders